“It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.” - Roger Ebert

Friday, November 28, 2014

Signs of life for foreign-language films in the U.S.


1) Signs of life for foreign-language films in the U.S.
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov/03/entertainment/la-et-mn-sneaks-foreign-films-20121104

2) Olsen, M. (2012, November 3). Signs of life for foreign-language films in the U.S. Retrieved November 25, 2014, from http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov/03/entertainment/la-et-mn-sneaks-foreign-films-20121104


3) In this source, the author describes the recent emergence of foreign film and how audiences who are usually accustomed to superhero films are now more open to foreign films.  Recent films such as the Iranian "A Separation", and "The Intouchables", which was a huge hit in France, have also been successful in the US.


4) "At some point movies go beyond the local, sociopolitical description of their own environment and they go somewhere else," said Huppert of cinema's universality. "It doesn't have any borders."
"Earlier this year the Iranian film "A Separation" was nominated for an Oscar not only in the foreign-language category (which it would go on to win) but also for its screenplay, where it competed against the likes of "Bridesmaids," pushing the film out from the margins of the art house."

5) Within this source, the information that is being provided is about upcoming foreign films and how people living in the US have learned to accustom to them. 

3 comments:

  1. You picked a great subject! It was pretty interesting to find out that a foreign film competed against a film that was so well liked in America (Bridesmaids).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! This certainly addresses something that many of us haven't really noticed, yet is extremely relevant. We are limiting ourselves to this "non-foreign film bubble" and it's causing us to not be able to appreciate what other countries are producing in film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your topic and the post in general. I find this quite astonishing as I didn't really know any information. If I was you, I'd drop the very formal structure and make it flow so your readers can enjoy this more as a free blog rather than an assignment. Great job!

    ReplyDelete