The Lonely Subtitle: Here's Why U.S. Audiences Are Abandoning Foreign-Language Films
http://www.indiewire.com/article/why-us-audiences-are-abandoning-subtitled-films-now-more-than-ever
Kaufman, A. (2014, May 6). The Lonely Subtitle: Here's Why U.S. Audiences Are Abandoning Foreign-Language Films. Retrieved from http://www.indiewire.com/article/why-us-audiences-are-abandoning-subtitled-films-now-more-than-ever
Even though there are many different platforms where viewers can watch foreign films, the audiences for these platforms is getting smaller and smaller. In 2013, the top five foreign language releases earned collectively just $15 million at the US box office, while in 2007, the take was $38 million. American viewers are becoming increasingly hostile towards foreign films, even if subtitles are in them.
- "In 2013 the top five foreign-language releases earned collectively just $15 million at the U.S. box office; in 2007, the take was $38 million."
- ״He pointed to the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences’ recent rule change in which the foreign-language Oscar is now decided upon by the entire Academy. This makes "the most popular film the most likely winner every year," he said, thereby cutting many smaller, worthy films from contention. ״
- "Every change that happens in the industry affects indies more," said Peter Goldwyn. "If the Hollywood studios have the infrastructure to last longer in the old systems, foreign language films are going to feel the impact of these changes even more, because it has always had the smallest box office percentage."
I have definitely noticed the descend in popularity of foreign films, and I may be a tiny bit at fault for this. I scarcely watch foreign films, but when I do decide to watch one be it on Netflixs or because of a peer recommendation I am ordinarily pleasantly surprised, but since they are not the most talked about or favored I usually don't opt for a foreign film. This post has brought awareness to the dwindling popularity of the foreign genre in both America and my own life.
ReplyDeleteThis is honestly such a shame considering foreign cinema has been thriving for years. While a lot of Hollywood movies have become a cycle of rehashing concepts, foreign films seem to maintain original and fresh concepts! It's shocking too since like mentioned, there's easy access to these movies. If anything, I'd say they need more exposure here. While I'm not a fan of dubbing movies, it helps give the movie some exposure so maybe that's worth a try? Hopefully foreign films pick up more traction, they deserve most of the praise they get.
ReplyDelete